Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Anné Pliska

Now that the heat is almost at its full Northwest Coast capacity, I hesitated for a moment before I drenched myself in that rich ambery oriental - the fabulous purple concoction that is Anné Pliska. But I am glad I did not give up and tried it despite of the “inappropriate” weather. Like my other two favourite ambery orientals, Shalimar and Obsession, they actually glow in the heat and are a real treat, just like vanilla ice cream...

And indeed, what I first got from Anné Pliska was a summery note of orange and cream soda slushy topped with soft vanilla ice cream, along with daring hints of leather (or wintergreen and birch), creating a root-beer-like effect – which adds an interesting, contrasting accent. After a few minutes this thirst-quenching, cool concoction of sweet crushed ice and vanilla desert fades a bit, and the herbal note softens and moves to the background (perhaps it is tampered by the sweeter, more well-mannered geranium). Vanilla and amber are definitely the most dominant notes and are the theme of Anné Pliska, and are much softer and mellower in the dry down, and become almost powdery. But despite the fact that the scent stays quite linear for most of the composition – it is never boring. The notes weave in and out and maintain the sweet and lovable presence of amber,

Anné Pliska , made by South Californian independent perfumer by the same name, was launched in 1987 (two years after Obsession). Although it shares many similarities with Obsession, it is quite different and more sultry and complex. Think about the creamiest Shalimar vanilla, the amber of Tabu and Obsession, the orange-mandarin notes of Obsession, a tad of unique spiciness that is vaguely reminiscent of Joop! For Men - and an unusual, mysterious oomph of its own – and you get Anné Pliska. If you love these three bombshell orientals, you must try Anné Pliska. In fact, you must try Anné Pliska anyways because it is a special amber perfume, and an example for what a well-made American perfume is: boldly luxurious and sensual, yet sophisticated and elegant.

Top notes: Orange, Mandarin, Wintergreen/Birch
Heart notes: Geranium, Vanilla
Base notes: Amber, Vanilla, Patchouli

P.s. Image is from Luscious Cargo, which carries all of the Anné Pliska line. For more information about where to get it visit the Anné Pliska Blog. Like other American luxury items of yesteryear (i.e. Estee Lauder's Youth Dew), it is also sweetly affordable. Don't you just love them parfum extraits under $100?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At July 04, 2006 12:27 AM, Blogger Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) from a "male" blogger down under in New Zealand. I was surfing the blog world when your blog popped up, so I thought I would have a look. Nothing for males ???

 
At July 04, 2006 12:31 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Kelvin, Anne Pliska can be worn by both males and females, in my opinion... The whole gender separation in perfumery is a huge marketing scam, as some us alreay know... But I would take your suggestion seriously and try to review some traditionally "masculine" perfumes in the future. There are quite a few that I adore.
What's your favourite, by the way?

 
At July 04, 2006 3:34 AM, Blogger Victoria said...

Very nice review! I am surprized by your cool remark, from my experience, people who find Anne Pliska as a "cool" fragrance usually don't fall for it. I don't sense any coolness, just a warm powdery amber. My HG for 19 years and counting!

 
At July 04, 2006 8:55 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Victoria, I find the cool opening not as aloof, but rather as refreshing, thirst-quenching... It feels just like the slushy I described. The heart and dry down are definitley powdery and sweet and warm and ambery, very similar to Shalimar IMHO (which I lurve). But the opening makes it really unique, and makes it also wearable when it's hot.
Another thing I like about Anne Pliska is that it is never boring. Ambers can really get to you by being so persistently the exact same thing all along without the slightest change. Espeically when they are very sweet. I like to have evolution in my scents, even the slightest will do.

 
At July 06, 2006 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ayala,
I like Anné Pliska very much because - as you already mentioned - a different & very well composed take on amber. I especially like the fruity orange note - though normally I don´t go for overly fruity scents at all. I also realized that you can wear it very well in hot weather :)

 
At July 28, 2012 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Anne Pliska and I found
it cheeper then Luckyscent or anyone else. Check out
www.thefragrancefactory.com
they are having a special
on Anne Pliska.

 
At July 28, 2012 10:16 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

The price at Luckyscent is $68, as opposed to $85 at The Fragrance Factory site...

 
At July 30, 2012 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check www.thefragrancefactory.com
again, the fragrance factory price is $50 and cheeper then anyone else.

 
At July 30, 2012 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like the Anne Pliska EDP spray is indeed cheeper at
thefragrancefactory.com
also I noticed the body cream
was cheeper also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home