Friday, September 22, 2006

Shana Tova and Ramadan Mubarak

To all of SmellyBlog readers around the world who are celebrating Rosh Hashana and the Holy Month of Ramadan, my wishes are that this will be a beautiful, fruitful and peaceful year for all of you, and the entire world!

The film Ararat opens with an old Armenian man going through customs after coming back from Armenia. He has declared a pomegranate, and having been forced to hand it to customs, he decides to eat it on the spot, and even offers to share it with the custom officer.

I don’t blame him. The pomegranates in the Middle East are far superior to any pomegranate that I have ever eaten that was grown elsewhere. But every fall, I insist on eating pomegranates as many as possible, as long as they are available on the shelves, regardless of price (or quality!). Eating pomegranates is a powerful thing: it is both symbolic and sensual. I resist giving up on this experience, and insist on sharing this with my daughter every year.

May this year be as sweet as apple in honey, and as full of deeds as the pomegranate seeds that I have just eaten. It is my hope that the fact that it was stale and moldy means that this will be a very fertile and fruitful year – full of beautiful fragrances and wonderful friendships.


Photo credit goes to my brother Yotam, who as usual manages to bring to me the scents, flavours and textures and ease my homesickness.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 24, 2006 2:54 PM, Blogger chayaruchama said...

May you be inscribed in the Book of Life for a sweet and healthy New Year- you and yours...

Be nourished, body and soul.

 
At October 01, 2006 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your best wishes of Ramadan.
They have raised two questions in my mind and I wonder if you would be kind enough to answer them for me.
Is Rosh Hashana the hebrew fasting month like Ramadan or is it an other event all together?
Does the Rosh Hashana always coincides with the month of Ramadan?
AbdusSalaam Attar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home