Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Velvet Gardenia


burning honey, originally uploaded by futureancient.

The moment I lifted up the lid of Velvet Gardenia to unveil its fragrance, I was swept into an unfamiliar territory, resting somewhere between dusk and twilight. A perfume simultaneously soft and diffusive like the performance of a soft-focused old-Hollywood starlet. The subtle and demure expressions are delivered by features that were intensified with false lashes and blood-red lipstick.

Velvet Gardenia will strike a nostalgic chord for anyone familiar with this heady flower; yet not in the least the conventionally pretty gardenia soliflore favoured by the Southern Belle. This gardenia was grown by candle light, deeming it somewhat waxy and distinctively darker and spicier than any other gardenia-themed perfume. Its dusky complexity stems from combining wine-like top notes, the spiciness of ginger lily and the underlining honeyed sweetness of labdanum. There is absolutely nothing tropical about it; it would be useless on the beach but perfect through a blizzard paired with a fur coat.

Notes: Gardenia, Ginger Lily, Orange Blossom, Honey, Labdanum, Incense

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At December 24, 2008 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to trying this fragrance! I'm a big fan of gardenia - I love white florals, and tuberose and gardenia rank among my favorite notes - but I've found many renditions of gardenia to be either too synthetic ( Kai ) or aquatic ( Michael Storer's Stephanie ) for my tastes. From the reviews I've read, this looks like it could be one of the good ones.

By the way - I revisited your Gigi the other day and quite enjoyed the experience. In this and Razala I've quite liked the white flowers and incense combination ( florals and incense work well on me in general - one of my favorite roses is Czech & Speake's No. 88 ).

 
At December 25, 2008 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gardenia - one of my favorites!!!!!

Ayala metuka, hag hannukah sameach lach velekol hamishpacha!!!

hamon neshikot betam sufganiot, hamon or ve shirim, latkes ...

Ani kiviti shebahag haze ihie shaket aval tamid iesh alimut, haval meod.

I wish you the most joyful Christmukkah and I want to say again that I love your blog.

 
At December 25, 2008 6:38 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Aidan,

I think this gardenia might be one of the "good ones". It is a bit odd, perhaps even quirky, even though I can't quite point out what is it that makes it that way.

Glad you are enjoying Gigi. Both Gigi and Razala have an accord of myrrh, tuberose and jasmine sambac, which might just strike the right chord for you...

Happy Holidays!

P.s. I haven't tried Czech & Speake's No. 88 (or any of their fragrances for that matter).

 
At December 25, 2008 6:54 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Simone,
Kodem kol - chag sameach umale be or!
Wishing you a warm holiday, full of light, laughter and family.
And hopefully, peace will come one day also to the more turbulent places on earth.
I'm always so happy to see you post here and glad you like my blog :)
Hugs,
Ayala

 

Post a Comment

<< Home