Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Coal Harbour Odours

One of my quiet pleasures is watching the seaplanes take off and land in Coal Harbour. Be it in the early morning, or at dusk, it's always exciting to watch those little planes as they shift from one element to the other.

I don't even know what it is about it that is so magical to me, but it's something I do a lot. In fact, I like to start my day walking down (only a few blocks from my studio) to the harbour, perhaps with a cup of steaming London Fog tea, and sit still while the marina comes back to life. And I can repeat the same in the afternoon with just much excitement. Being near the water makes me feel at peace and keeps my thoughts and inspiration flowing.

And of course, I love the smell of the sea. Even near the marina, you can smell the seaweed, and watch it dance on the rocks underneath the water. But what's even more unique about this spot is the scent of jet fuel as it mingles with the ocean's. Hot meets cold, the smoky burnt fuel scent, and the cool still water and seaweed. Nature clashes with machines, and they both become harmonious, at least from an olfactory point of view.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home