Thursday, September 30, 2010

Way Too Orange


orange yemenite etrog, originally uploaded by sambo in netanya.

My last mod of my Etrog perfume turned out juicy and mouthwatering delicious. That's nice and dandy. But it smells nothing like Etrog at all!
It smells way too orange.
It smells more like Japanese citron (aka yuzu) than the Jewish citron.

I've still got a long way to go with this one and as much as I love wearing this sweet citrus jus, it's not what I meant for it to be. Etrog should be far more elegant and dry and subtle.

I need to make a stronger Etrog tincture.
And I need to find myself some good quality myrtle (an essence that don't normally have at my fingertips because it's quite medicinal). I could fake it with some eucalyptus, which is very similar, to get a fast-snapshot of what I'd like for it to be. However, this perfume is all about the actual ingredients and their symbolic significance so I'm going to just wait patiently until I find it!

I'm really liking the base though, which features cypress. It's a very Mediterranean scent and I really want this perfume to feel very true to its origins and the region - yet very refined, elegant and subtle. It also has frankincense and olive resin as fixative which I feel are very appropriate for this perfume.

The route is long and winding... And I'm enjoying it. Which is more important than where I'm going and when I'm getting there.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At September 30, 2010 4:07 PM, Blogger odysseusm said...

Keep at it. You've got the vision and creative skill... sounds like the x-factor are the ingredients. It will be a marvelous scent when you get it right! I'll be first in line!

 
At September 30, 2010 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... when you 'get there' Ayala, I feel sure Etrog will be an ideal fragrance for those of us who have to slog through hot, steamy Aussie summers :)

 
At October 01, 2010 4:58 AM, Blogger Isa said...

I love how it sounds!
I encourage you to keep on working on it because I'm sure it will be awesome.

 
At October 02, 2010 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Info about availability - citron essential oil: http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/newsletters/october2010update.html

 
At October 02, 2010 6:41 PM, Blogger HJ said...

LOL I was just about to leave a message regarding the Citron EO [Sicilian] that WLA now have also, but see someone else beat me to it!

Holly x

 
At October 02, 2010 8:15 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

odysseusm, it's an odyssey.

margihealing, I think it might just be...!

Isa, don't worry - I'm going to keep at it till it's ready :-)

Anon & HJ - thanks for the citron oil tip! I'm surprised it's not showing on their website as a product though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home