Sunday, April 01, 2012

The Smell of Blackout

'Actor Monkey' by ;-) SHAGGY
'Actor Monkey', a photo by ;-) SHAGGY on Flickr.

Happy April Fool’s Day!
I hope you weren’t the victims to any nasty April Fool’s Day tricks like I’ve witnessed tonight – a bar tender was serving saltwater instead of a simple syrup all night long, completely oblivious to the trick… everything he concocted turned out like pickle juice… Yuck!
I totally admire that he took it with a sense of humour, which I very much doubt I would have after all the drinks that were returned with disgusted/disappointed faces...

For today’s Monkey Monday’s giveway, I’m hoping you could help me solve the mystery behind the intense horseradish scent that pops into my nose before every time I black out (I had the pleasure of experiencing many of these in my lifetime – but don’t worry – I’m perfectly healthy!). It certainly helps as a warning sign, so I can sit it out rather than crash to the floor… Anyone else with a similar experience, or is it just me being the odd one?

The person who helps me solve this riddle will win a sample of LesNez’ 2nd installation in their Turtle Vetiver Series – Turtle Vetiver Front.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At April 02, 2012 6:54 AM, Blogger olenska said...

Hi,
Longtime reader/possibly first-time commenter. Hope this isn't alarmist, but phantosmia followed by blackout can be an indicator of temporal lobe "action". Ever had an EEG/MRI?

 
At April 02, 2012 9:09 AM, Blogger solace said...

nothing i could come up with seems very positive... i agree with olenska about eeg/mri - although you state you're healthy so i will just list what i know:

Organophosphorus pesticide ingestion
arsenic poisoning
Mansoa alliacea bushes
fibromyalgia

or as olenska said- frontal lobe activity- which can be benign or an indication that something is amiss.

it is GOOD you have this sort of "aura" before a black out... maybe it is simply the way your body has taken up to warn you of an upcoming incident -- we are amazing creatures you know.

much light!

 
At April 03, 2012 9:03 PM, Blogger nekosan said...

I want to say that it sounds like a textbook epilepsy thing, except that I really don'y know anything about that. =) I should ask my sweetie, since he remembers things in more detail (he may remember what book I read something similar in).

 
At April 04, 2012 1:48 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Thanks for everyone's health concerns, but as I stated before - there is absolutely nothing to be concerned, and I don't have epilepsy or any of these things - just low blood sugar and low blood pressure (both are actually supposed to be "good things" according to all the GP's I've ever discussed this with).

I take it that this is indeed as I thought simply an anecdotal thing that no one else experiences. And believe me, it is a good warning sign to have :-)

The only "negative" thing about it is that it took me nearly forever to enjoy or appreciate the falvours of mustard, horsereadish or wasabi. But now even this is not a concern ;-)

 
At April 04, 2012 6:26 PM, Anonymous Lindsay said...

I'm glad to hear it's no health problem, and I'm glad it hasn't ruined horseradish for you.

All I can add is that I make a mean caesar with horseradish infused vodka (brunch parties at my place are RAD!) and it seems like this means that a whiff of one of my caesars might make you think you're about to black out- when it takes a few of them for that to happen for anybody else.

 
At April 06, 2012 3:05 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Lindsay - that cesare does sounds mean! In a good way, of course... Where on earth did you get that idea from and do you make it from scratch? I know it takes a lot of tears to prepare it with all the volatile oils it's got...

BTW - Kewda flower essence and hydrosol has a bit of a horseradish/vinegar nasal nuance to it. It's one of my favourite notes though!

 
At April 06, 2012 3:07 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

OH, and by the way - the winner of this giveaway is Solace. Please email me with your snailmail addy so that I can send a Turtle Vetiver Front sample your way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home